Saturday, July 10, 2010

Boondock Saints


So, it's been a long time since I watched this movie but last night my brother-in-law brought it home and I thought fuck it. And boy am I glad I did. So, we watched Boondock Saints. Now let's talk about it.

I'm going to talk first about the cast. The cast is fucking awesome. There are a lot of people you might recognize, and some that you might not. The two brothers are GREAT. One is well known for his role in Suicide Kings, the other for his role in Blade 2, but when it comes down to it, THIS is the role they were built for. Then you add the other role players. Billy Connelly is amazing in this, much like he is in The Last Samurai and Fido. He is an absolute legend and this movie shows why. Willem Defoe is, interesting, to say the least. In fact, his performance in the movie makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable because of how comfortable he seems to be with everything that he does.

Add to all this Carlos Rota and Ron Jeremy and you have a fucking fantastic movie. Is it likely that this movie could happen, no. Is it even possible? Well, no, not really. But it's still fucking great. It actually has a great story that talks about good and evil and their interchangeable nature... intermixed with some great fucking gun scenes.

This is a great action movie, one of my favorites of all time. It sits just below Point Break as a purist action movie and in doing so, earns 2 3/4 Donairs.

Great music, great action and Billy Fucking Connelly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off I have to say that I enjoy a good shoot em dead flic as much as the next guy.

This was a good attempt at something Bronsonesque but would have been more effective if the characters were more sympathetic. Part of the reason Ebert liked Death Wish but thought Boondock Saints was idiotic was because Bronson's character was an innocent, hard-working family man who lost everything through no fault of his own. This is a bit closer to the reality of violent crime in America than two alcoholic homophobes of Irish descent (and dubious accents)who, like the taliban, exploit religion for their warped vendettas and superhero agendas. One and a half eggrolls.

M.A.

Mickeal Tanner said...

Dear Anonymous,
I absolutely agree with several of your comments. First, the accents are suspect. Norman Reedis? sounds a LITTLE bit Russian and SPF is.... I dunno what the hell that guy is. BUT, Billy Connolly is excellent and this movie is less about innocent people than it is about vigilantism. I think that one could argue that Bronson is kind of a selfish ass. A true vigilante fights for justice out of a recognition of evil, while Bronson more or less plays in his own backyard until people hurt him. I also think that the WORST thing about the DW movies is the sequalism, something that until All Saints Day, I would have said Boondock had going for it.

2 more things.
1 - Is your egg roll system out of 3? (and how is this)
2 - Please check out my podcast, available in iTunes under Donair Films and feel free to email me about either at donairfilms@gmail.com

Thanks for tuning in and I appreciate your input.