Friday, July 9, 2010

Whip It


I am not gonna lie. I thought this movie was going to suck. I decided to watch it anyways because it has Ellen Page in it, and Ellen Page is the awesomest, hottest midget on the planet. It turns out this movie has a GREAT ensemble cast. Kristin Wigg, Drew Barrymore, Juliette Lewis, Maybe from Arrested Development and what's his face from Home Alone... Daniel WhatTheFuck.

The story is short on logic. First off, there's no way that it would have taken that long for it to come out to her team that she was 17 or to her family that she was a roller derby super star. The movie makes it, (roller derby) seem super fucking awesome. It's not, but for like.... an hour and a half you actually think, well shit...roller derby seems pretty awesome. Don't let them fool you.

There is a little too much drama in a few scenes for me. First off, they try to play out too many stories, mother-daughter, sister-sister, father-daughter, husband-wife, girl+boy, best friends. Too many fucking stories. Not enough time. If this was a TV show, you could play out a full seasons with the stories that they try to make it through.

Ellen Page is a LITTLE bit obvious for me in this one. I am starting to get to the point where I know exactly what she's going to say and how she's going to say it. But I don't give a shit because she's awesome.

2 1/4 Donairs. Definitely worth watching, but don't expect too much.

Honorable mention to two specific people that I LOVED in this movie.

1. Jimmie Fallon is fucking AWESOME as the Hot Tub Johnny Rocket. Like, he's really funny. I will never again make fun of Fallon. And neither should you, asshole.

2. Andrew Wilson. This makes me giggle quite a bit. He was great in this movie, he was great in Idiocracy. But every time he spoke, I thought 'fuck this guy sounds like a Wilson'. Then I looked him up, and it turns out he is. Jean shorts and beards Batman, this fucking rockes.

No comments: