Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Inbetweeners


First off, let's talk a little bit about the British.
I picked up Series 1 and Series 2 of The Inbetweeners, a relatively new British sitcom that deals with the relatively miserable life of Will, a young Brit. My first concern is not with the show itself which is quite witty and has imbedded itself in my language over the last few days. I have called most of my friends poofs and tossers and I've enjoyed it.

My issue is not with the obvious fact that they are all losers, none of who will ever succeed. In fact, it's what keeps it interesting is trying to figure out HOW they are going to screw up their attempt at minge.

My issue is with the term "series". First off, it's not a series, it's a season. For example, if it is cancelled soon, then what would you call the entire collection? I suppose you've actually been given one right there, but seriously. SERIES? It's a season. It's a season, you tosser.

The cast of the show is entirely unknown. Well, at least to me, their transcontinental cousin. Maybe these people are well known in Britain but given how hideously ugly most of them are, I doubt it. At first I thought Mr Gilbert was known to me and then I realized that he simply looked like the gargantuan brother of Niles from Buffy... which I have never watched.

The plot is nothing entirely new. In fact, it's relatively played. But it's funny. The thing you often have to think about when it comes to TV shows or movies, ESPECIALLY comedies is, "is there anything new to do". There are a few surprises, but in general, it's stale like your mum's chips. GOD, who am I?

In the end, the show is worth watching, but probably not worth watching more than once. It has far to many references to homosexuality and pedophilia (and not in a kind way) and probably would not fly in NA. Well, maybe on HBO.

2 Donairs. Watch it.... Once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as one Frenchman once put it, " oh les anglais...they are so uglee with their beeg heads."

Brenda said...

It's a series! A SERIES of episodes, the entire collection is a 'programme'.
Also, there were no Buffy characters names Niles.