Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stargate Universe


I will start this with talking a little about SGU's predecessors.

It all began with Stargate, the motion picture. This was... great. Kirk Russell was great, James Spader was also fantastic and the plot was really interesting.

They followed it up with an amazingly well drafted show, SG1. Among other failures, they replaced Kirk Russell, who is a legitimately talented actor and excellently suited for the role, with fucking McGyver. McGyver. Richard Dean McGyver. They also made the decision to turn it into Stargate meets Porky's, minus the nudity, which would have been the only thing to redeem the show. Of course, that would have made it very difficult for global to carry it.

Following SG1, they decided to make Stargate Atlantis. Now admittedly, I have never seen a single episode of Stargate Atlantis however I take it on good authority that it is just like SG1 and as such it belongs inside a Sea Lion's vagina.

There were also a series of movies "The Ark of Shit" or something like that, and I can only assume it sucked as much as the shows.

And that brings us to Stargate Universe. I was hesitant to watch the show because of my feelings about McGyver's shit acting, but I watched it nonetheless. And here is what I came up with.

The cast is great. There are a few well known ones such as Robert Carlisle, Lou Diamond Philips and Michelle Almeda (don't know her real name, don't care). Those that I had not seen before were great, specifically the actor that plays Eli. Some of you might think that I should know the names of these actors being that I watch so much film and TV and any good critic should know actors names, but I don't care about them until they are famous enough NOT to appear in a Burger King commercial.

The plot is unique. Well, at least I thought the plot was unique until I started watching Battlestar Galactica and saw how similar the shows were. There are some truly interesting parts to the show, but there were also a series of incredibly NOT unique storylines. Occasionally, they come up with something interesting, but they also typically follow it up by either not explaining what the fuck just happened, or making you think they will explain what the fuck just happened eventually, followed up by not explaining it.

When it comes down to it, the show is relatively original. I would say it's not mainstream, but maybe I was just not mainstream enough to know that there was this new mainstream that I didn't even know about that mostly consisted of relatively ambiguous alien life forms and FTL drives. (It means Faster Than Light, just so you don't feel like as much as an idiot as I did for the first several episodes.

F@&# you McGyver.

Overall, watch the show. 2 1/4 Donairs.

By the way, I know how you actually spell McGyver, but I don't care, because he's McGyver.

No comments: