Thursday, July 8, 2010

Party Down... Down...Down in a Burning Ring of Fire


So, they cancelled Party Down. Which is bullshit. This was a legit funny and entertaining show and there are SO many bad shows out there. This is the story, really of the internet, and what it does to great television. Discuss.

I do not have Starz. Honestly, before I downloaded Party Down, (having found it on a website entitled Best New TV Shows), I didn't have a clue that there WAS a channel called Starz. I was impressed that the show was actually started by and produced for that channel. But. remember,. I don't have Starz. So I had absolutely NO recourse but to download it. Which means what? It means I'm not watching Starz and this is a problem. This is a problem because of the way we watch TV now. Movies will ALWAYS be ok. You know how I know? Try going to a fucking movie on opening weekend and let me know how the line is. But TV is very different.

If you're like me, you like to watch several episodes at a time and you like to watch it whenever you want to. Hence, PVR. But I like to watch pretty much a season at a time. I've made my way through 3 seasons of Friends in the last couple of months, and that's the way I like it. Which means we are moving away from a system that requires the actual TV and into a system that requires a computer and a little bit of effort.

So, they cancelled Party Down, because no one has Starz and a lot of people don't watch TV anymore. I am about to watch Season 2... which I downloaded, but here goes my review of Season 1.

There has been a push in two directions lately in TV. One direction is towards realism and the other is towards awkwardness. This one goes thatta way, and it does a great job of it.

The cast are ALL awkward. This is preferable to a show like Eastbound and Down where you have Danny McBride being awkward as fuck and then a bunch of other relatively people (well, a few more awkward people, but in general you know what I mean you dick). The combination of forces in this is epic. I just heard 3 of the cast members together on Doug Loves Movies and they are genuinely funny. Adam Scott (Torque and Eastbound and Down) and Ken Marino (Californication and Role Models) and Martin Starr (Freaks and Geeks and Knocked Up) are awesome and I believe I have already talked about my Lizzy Caplan crush, so need to continue with that.

Jane Lynch scares the fuck out of me. In this role, in Role Models and in Glee she literally makes me want to cry at all times. She is scary as shit. Fred Savage directs Season 1 and Paul Rudd does it all and kicks butt.

Everything is fantastic about this series and it should have NEVER been taken off the air... But it's all our fault.

2.5 Donairs for the show.
0 Donairs for the viewers, you copyright infringing whores.

No comments: