Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine



Let's talk about Chevy Chase.
Honestly, you're old dude. You were funny. You were really funny. At one point, along with Steve Martin, you might have been one of the funniest men on the planet. But, you're not now. You're not that funny. You're not terrible, and there is a certain degree of comedic presence that you have. But it is limited. And you're predictable. As soon as you showed up, I was like, well, I know what this asshole's gonna say next. PLUS, you're a terrible ripoff of Don Knotts character in Pleasantville. Like, a SAD, terrible ripoff of Don Knotts character. Like, to the tits.

Now, let's talk about John Cusack.
What the fuck are you? I have never seen anyone play so many different roles throughout their career. You are always sad. I don't believe I've ever seen you happy in a movie. But that's about the only thing that's EVER the same about you. 1402 - Strange author who is super creepy. Gross Point Blank - Crazy wacked out hitman. High Fidelity - Sad, strange little man who loves music. 2012 - Crazy writer who is bad with his family. Alright, so maybe the theme here is that he is a fucking nutbar in just about every movie that he's in. He's very funny, especially in this.

Craig Robinson. You are a silly bitch. You are super funny and awesome. This is probably the 2nd best performance I have ever seen Craig turn in, 2nd to only Reg Mackworthy in Eastbound and Down.

Rob Cordry, you're an asshole... and I love every minute of it. He is the comedic highlight of the film.

The other guy I also really enjoy is Clarke Duke, a relative newcomer. He is great in this and super funny in Kick-Ass. I have never watched Clarke and Michael, his webisodes with Michael Cera.

If you want to laugh you should see this movie. It also stars Lizzy Caplan, the funniest chick in the world, star of Mean Girls (well, except for Drunk-el-han, and Party Down, and has what I could only call an oft-repeating cameo of Crispin Glover, who is hilarious and creepy, as per usual.

So, laugh it up. Watch the movie.
2 1/4 Donairs.

After all that, you might think, why only that many donairs?
Well, to be fair, it is predictable (you will know what I mean exactly). It's funny, but I've seen just as funny and there is very little original about it. To be honest, Vice Versa, 13 Going On 30, 17 Again. They're all the same fucking movie, just like Hot Tub Time Machine.

So, like I said before, 2 1/4 Donairs.... Suck it Chevy.

No comments: