Friday, August 1, 2008

Lars and The Real Girl

I love Hollywood. I like gorgeous women who fall for the nice guy, (a trend that really began with Can't Hardly Wait). I like ridiculous athletic training montages set to overly corny music (thanks Sly). I like seeing things that you would never actually see in real life (thank you Guillermo Del Toro). I used to believe that the movie industry really belonged in Hollywood where they have budgets, and formulaic stories and actors that were airbrushed while they were in the womb. Then I watched Lars and The Real Girl. This film actually re-affirmed my belief that there are still people with great ideas and fairly wealthy people who will let the world see what they see. Very much in line with Little Miss Sunshine (I know, formulaicity, sort of), Lars and The Real Girl is a heartwarming and amazingly real feeling story about a young man who cannot deal with the world around him, most notably relationships and the human condition. Ryan Gossling is beyond good in this, much as he has been in his last..... 100 performances or so. It has a strong supporting cast and is beautifully filmed so that you believe you are immersed in the world they have created. This should have been Best Oscar for Film, Gossling for Best Actor and Paul Schneider should have received a good look as Best Supporting. Furthermore, Director Craig Gillespie shows his flexibility given that his only other directing credit is Mr. Woodcock.... That would make this a bit of a departure. I'm still going to go to the theatre and watch Terminator: Salvation, The Watchmen and anything else that Hollywood tells me I should, but this is a must see. 3 Donairs. Could not have been better. NOTHING could be improved.

No comments: