Monday, July 5, 2010

Harry Potter 6: The Half Blood Prince


Alright... Let's start with this. I'm gonna ruin the shit out of this movie because that's what people did to me. And I'm gonna tell you exactly how they did it.

I am a bit of a slow reader, and ever slower at picking up on fads. So, I picked up HP1 when HP4 came out. So, I was a little bit behind. In fact, I was halfway through HP3 when HP6 came out and one of my friends, who fucking KNEW I was reading it, made the following statement..."I just can't believe that they kill Dumbledore." WOW.... Why in shit's giggles would you say that to someone that you KNEW was reading, and ENJOYING, the series. So, I stopped reading, and just decided to watch the movies.

The shitstorm continues. Last summer I went to BC and one night when we didn't have anything else to do, my wife and I decided to see HP6. I was really excited. To be honest, I was super pleased with all the other movies, ESPECIALLY HP5.

About 4 hours into the movie, one of my only complaints is that it's long, although mostly really enjoyable and intriguing, there is a scene where Dumbledore and Harry are in a tower, and then Malfoy and Snape show up and some douchebag beside me says "Oh, this is the part where Snape kills Dumbledore". NOW, to be fair, I knew that Dumbledore died, but not how nor who killed him. I would have punched the guy in the schnozz but he was a giant musclebound gay man seated amongst a collection of other musclebound gay men. A) I didn't want to perpetrate a hate crime. B) I didn't want to get my ass kicked by the GMGG (Giant Musclebound Gay Gang). So, I took it like a man.

All things aside, the movie is amazing. I am constantly surprised by Rowling's ability to make this movie extremely dark extremely quickly. She is a wonderful writer and unlike most films, they do a great job at taking everything from the book and throwing it into the movie. Most movies adapted from books suck ass, (except for The Firm which was actually better) but the HP books are the exception to the rule. While they are BETTER books, they are still great movies.

The child actors have really grown into their roles and have started to become actual actors, most notably Harry and Hermoine. Ron, still kind of a douche, and a bit of an idiot.

I prefer the old Dumbledore, but he's dead... I guess technically they both are, cause now the ACTOR is dead, the old one, and so is the character.

The movie is awesome, well worth the watch and much like every one of the films, except number 2, it is a GREAT movie and I give it 3 Donairs.

P.S. If you haven't already done so, read Deathly Hallows so that nobody ruins it for you.

No comments: