Friday, August 1, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

This film actually surprised me. Unfortunately not in the way I would have liked. It has some great acting and includes a great semi-original storyline (there are no new stories in Hollywood, but this comes close.) This might actually be Jack Black's best performance outside of High Fidelity and I definitely think it is Mos Def's best showing. The actual filming is great. It has a very real quality about it that makes you feel that you are there, that it's not larger than life (see Juno for further examples). BUT.... the story. We're not given nearly enough of the important details, there is a very conspicuous timeline and the plot is ENTIRELY predictable. Is it worth watching, yes. Am I glad I didn't pay anything to watch it.... yes. Watch it.... But don't pay anything.. or split costs with a bunch of other people so that it is not too expensive, given what it is.... 2 donairs.

No comments: